The tutorials below provide information on those issues most often faced by Taylor faculty, staff, and students. They are provided in PDF format and require a PDF reader like Adobe Reader or Foxit to view. You will find both on our Utilities Page
- Backup Utility (faculty/staff use): Instructions on how to set up and use 4040's backup utility for faculty and staff.
- Banner (faculty/staff use): Banner is accessed through Internet Explorer and requires Java in order to run. This tutorial covers the installation of Java.
- LockDown Browser: Tutorial explaining how to use the LockDown Browser for testing purposes.
- myTAYLOR: FAQ style tutorial covering the myTAYLOR portal.
- New Employee Info (faculty/staff use): Helpful info on Tayor's network for new employees.
- Password Manager: This tutorial explains how to change or reset your password using Taylor's Password Manager tool.
- Taylor Email: This tutorial explains how to configure phones and other devices to connect to your Taylor email. It includes a section on configuring Outlook Anywhere.
- TOWER Proxy Use TOWER Proxy to give your parents or other guardian access to your school records.
- VPN (Virtual Private Network (faculty/staff use only): A Virtual Private Network (VPN) allows Taylor employees access to network resources from home or across the campus wireless network. This tutorial explains how to install and use Taylor's VPN client.
Viruses, SPAM, and other Malware:
- Antivirus: Follow these procedures to manually uninstall your current antivirus software and install a Taylor-approved antivirus client. Protection is required for Windows PCs that connect to Taylor's network.
- Containing Viruses: This tutorial lists several suggestions for reducing the risk of viruses, SPAM, and Spyware.
- HijackThis: Advanced virus/spyware fighter. Not for the faint of heart! Read how to install and run if you have reason to believe your PC is infected.
- Malware: Read this if you have reason to believe your PC is infected with malware.
- Safe Mode: Safe mode is a stripped down launch of Windows. Read this prior to running virus and/or spyware scans.
- Sophos Scan: Explains how to run a Sophos antivirus scan and remove any infection it identifies.
- SPAM: Explains how to use Taylor's SPAM filtering to reduce unsolicited email.
- Spybot: Free anti-spyware product. Read how to install and run if you think your PC might be infected.
- Safe Mode Virus Scan: Read to learn how to manually scan your hard disks for infection.
Security & Performance:
- Auto Updates: Windows can automatically download & install security patches. Read how to enable auto updates. This is mandatory for PC registration of student-owned, Windows-based computers.
- CCleaner: Free registry cleaner. Especially helpful after uninstalling software. Read how to install and run if your PC's performance has dropped.
- Facebook Security: Protect your personal information on Facebook using advanced network security.
- IE Temporary Internet Files: Viruses hide inside this folder waiting for a chance to infect your PC. Read to configure Internet Explorer to automatically delete temporary Internet files.
- IE 3rd Party Extensions: Read to disable advanced capabilities of Internet Explorer. Useful in fighting severe spyware infections.
- Popup Blockers: This tutorial explains how to configure Internet Explorer and Firefox to allow myTaylor through their pop-up blockers.
- Windows Firewall: Includes instructions for manually configuring the firewall. Information Technology recommends using the Windows Firewall when away from campus.
- Approved Antivirus Clients: Information Technology has approved several anti-malware programs for use by students. The recent version of any of these programs will allow you to pass TUCAN Registration.
- DHCP: Allows automatic IP Address assignment. Required for connection to Taylor's network. Read to manually configure a PC to use DHCP.
- Fairlane Wireless: The network provided inside Fairlane Apartments works a bit differently than the on-campus network. Read the tutorial for instructions for connecting to and using wireless inside Fairlane.
- Guest PC Registration: Guests of Taylor University may access Taylor's network and the Internet by following the TUCAN PC Registration process. This tutorial walks you through the steps involved.
- Macintosh: Basic network connection instructions for the Mac.
- Renaming Your PC: Using an appropriate PC name is required for connection to Taylor's network. Explains how to manually change your PC name.
- VLANs: Explains virtual networks and how they are used in the PC registration system. Read if you're having trouble registering your PC.
Misc Network Access:
- Bind Domain - Macintosh: Information Technology has completed testing and have found significant advantages to joining your Taylor-owned Macintosh to the network.
- Mapped Drives: Shared folders are a useful networking tool. Mapping a drive to a shared folder makes using shared folders even easier.
- Network Printer (faculty/staff use only): Most Taylor printers are networked to make them available to all employees. This tutorial explains how to configure your Taylor-owned PC to print to networked printers.
- Network Shares: Network shares are handy but dangerous. Read how to disable unnecessary shares and reduce your risk of attack.
- Wireless: Provides instructions for manually configuring your wireless connection to work with Taylor's wireless network.